Tags: cli, contains, document, language, microsoft, msdn, native, net, software, specification, version, visual

Native C++ language specification

On Microsoft » Microsoft Visual C & C++

4,854 words with 6 Comments; publish: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 22:45:00 GMT; (325109.38, « »)

I need a document that contains the native C++ language specification. I am not talking about the .Net version - C++/CLI. I want the specification for the good old native C++ used for writing Win32 applications.

I am currently writing an FPS game using Native C++ (VS2005) and DirectX 9. Most of the time, I either get stuck or do something manually, when there already exists an operator, function etc... to do it in C++. The problem is, I don't know enough about the language.

Can someone tell me where I can find it.

Thanks.

All Comments

Leave a comment...

• 6 Comments
    • The reference for native C++ is an ANSI/ISO standard so you will find it hard to just get it since the standard is sold.

You could use http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/3bstk3k5(VS.80).aspx which is the standard as implimented by microsoft. The other option, and one which you would find easier, is to obtain a good C++ book to learn from.

#1; Fri, 28 Sep 2007 08:57:00 GMT
    • Hey, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks a lot!

#2; Fri, 28 Sep 2007 08:57:00 GMT
    • The definitive reference is the ISO C++ Specification, which you can buy from ANSI (if you're in the US) for $18 as a PDF file. But, the standard is very difficult to read, and not very helpful for most people.

Rather, I'd recommend getting a good book (or several) on C++ - there is a wealth of good books. You might start by looking at the book reviews on the ACCU website at www.accu.org.

Off the top of my head:

• "Accelerated C++" by Andrew Koenig and Babara Moo. Good intro/learning book.
      • "Thinking in C++" by Bruce Eckels (this book is available as an online e-book for free - Google it).
      • "The C++ Programming Language, 3rd Ed." (or "Special Ed.") by Bjarne Stroustrup. Bjarne is the "father" of C++.
      • "The C++ Standard Library" by Nicolai Josuttis. The definitive library referece.
      • "Standard C++ IOStreams and Locales" by Angelika Langer and Klaus Kreft. More about I/O streams than you wanted to know - except when you need to know it!
      • "C++ Templates" by Daveed Vandevoorde & Nicolai Josuttis. The gory details of C++ templates from a compiler expert.
      • All of Scott Meyers' books - how-to and advice bookx on how to effectively use C++.
      • All of Herb Sutter's books - advanced how-to and advice books on using C++ effectively.

Note that the above books are about the standard C++ language and it's standard library. They do not teach you how to use the Visual C++ product. If you need help with that, there are a number of books from Wrox and MS Press that you might find useful.

If you're using MFC or ATL, then you probably should look into books specifically on MFC or ATL, as they each have their own little universes of available reference materials beyond what's in MSDN.

#3; Fri, 28 Sep 2007 08:58:00 GMT
    • I wanted the specification related to VC++ and not exactly the ISO or other standards. The link in the other post is a good one - it contains enough information for me right now, if not everything.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to list all those books and the websites . I'll consider buying one when I have enough money.

#4; Fri, 28 Sep 2007 09:00:00 GMT
    • Hey, thanks for the link.

I'll check it out.